Senior Associate for International Finance - Africa
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Department:||Finance and Administration|
Working within the International Finance Unit, the Senior Associate for International Finance coordinates comprehensive financial management support for the Africa region and other LWR clients. In addition, the Senior Associate for International Finance - Africa will coordinate critical strategic business planning and decision support for assigned regions and clients. The position also ensures compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, applicable regulatory requirements, specific donor requirements, and internal policies and procedures. This position reports to the Deputy Director for International Finance - Africa.
Financial Management Support
• Process monthly financial reports from country offices (including electronic filing; printing; report review; desk audit as needed) and document in writing any observed financial discrepancies or concerns and submit summary to the Deputy Director of International Finance, Africa Region.
• Monitor and track subsequent corrective action implemented by staff and partners, financial details related to grants, including fund transfer dates, transfer amounts, field expenditures, cost share expenditures, and LWR direct expenditures.
• Execute fund transfers upon request and ensure that all related steps such as donor notification and filing of necessary back-up documentation are completed.
• Support the Deputy Director of International Finance, Africa region in the design, implementation, and maintenance of effective internal controls for LWR's overseas country offices and assist partner organizations in similar efforts; assist with preparation of documents for annual audit.
• Support HQ and country office staff requests for guidance regarding the implementation of policies reflected in the Overseas Operations Manual and other financial policies and procedures. Coordinate financial and administrative support related to the opening and closing of overseas offices and coordinate with IPD staff as necessary.
• Support and review assigned budget holder's annual plan and budget request prior to final submission. Review budget holder activity plans to ensure alignment with budgeted resources and review budget for overall accuracy and completeness.
• Assist in the design and implementation of relevant financial management training for all levels of the International Programs Department including budgeting, financial statement review, partner assessment, and partner monitoring.
• Incorporate overseas office financial activity into the general ledger maintained in Baltimore. Includes review of financial reports produced by overseas offices and by partners, and preparation of field journals.
• Ensure that all expatriate and TCN costs are properly managed to ensure accurate presentation in financial statements while respecting confidentiality requirements.
Grant Management Support
• Ensure that LWR costs directly charged to external grants are in compliance with the grant agreement and all applicable regulations, correctly coded in LWR's general ledger, and appropriately reported to donor.
• Closely coordinate with Regional Directors, Deputy Directors, Program Associates, Grants Managers, Regional Representatives and Country Directors on the financial aspects of grant proposal development, project implementation, financial and compliance performance monitoring, and donor reporting. Monitor award expenditure variances and coordinate necessary budget modifications.
• In coordination with the Deputy Director of International Finance, Africa Region and Deputy Director for Compliance, manage financial pre-award screening protocols for targeted sub-grantees.
• Provide appropriate training to LWR and sub-grantee staff on financial assessments, United States Government (USG) regulations, and financial reporting requirements.
• Monitor compliance with donor requirements and regulations (particularly USG) and LWR policies and procedures.
• Working with appropriate IPD or ER staff, coordinate financial reporting to meet external donor requirements on a timely basis.
• Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Finance, or a related field. CPA or Master's degree in an appropriate discipline preferred.
• 3 to 6 years of professional experience accounting, budget, and financial reporting operations with experience in international non-profit accounting preferred.
• Knowledge of US accounting standards for non-profit organizations.
• Knowledge of US government, foundations and EU grant-making rules and regulations.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with local and/or international non-governmental organizations, community-based organizations, and other grassroots organizations. 2 or more years working abroad preferred.
• Demonstrated client support and management skills in a multi-cultural context. Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with people of varied backgrounds.
• Ability to develop and deliver effective training curricula on appropriate finance and administrative topics, especially for a non-finance audience.
• Strong analytical and innovative problem solving skills with the proven ability to manage multiple tasks under tight deadlines and competing priorities.
• The ability to analyze complex situations without clear precedents, frame key issues, apply relevant criteria, and propose a range of viable options and recommendations.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work effectively with cross-departmental teams.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office, general ledger applications (Quick Books and Sage 100 preferred), and other database enterprise systems required for supporting international operations.
• Fluency in English required.
• Ability to travel up to 20 percent of his/her time and to effectively manage staff stationed in global locations.
• Deep commitment to LWR's core values and ability to model those values in relationships with colleagues and partners.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.