Consultant for Humanitarian work in Iraq
|Employment Type:||Seasonal - Full Time|
Lutheran World Relief (LWR) is seeking a highly experienced Iraqi national as a consultant for humanitarian assistance work. Primary function of the consultant is to conduct a strategic landscape analysis of current humanitarian situation and programing, operational environment and funding context in the Iraq, in particular conflict areas. This includes information collection, situation analysis, and field work, identification of program gaps and appropriate program designing, and research on setting up an office. The assignment is expected to last for three months starting mid-January 2018. Specific roles and responsibilities of the consultant is outlined below:
1. Programmatic Functions:
a. Conduct a thorough review of humanitarian assistance situation and livelihood recovery activities in Iraq.
b. Assess the IDPs movement in the conflict areas and analyze the trends of people's movement within the country.
c. Analyze the overall humanitarian situation and identify the program gaps; including humanitarian situation trend for next six to twelve months. Prepare a map that shows which INGOs are working in which geographic area and their program sectors.
d. Identify geographic areas which are underserved, which may be considered for LWR programs. The geographic areas should be accessible from security point of view.
e. Conduct a rapid assessment of the selected geographic area to collect info, analyze the info and prepare assessment reports.
f. Attend UN cluster meetings and other humanitarian assistance coordination meetings and prepare brief notes.
g. Track the funding opportunities and trends to support the Iraqi IDPs. This include a review of donors/sources, level of funding, and their priorities in terms of programs and geographic focus areas.
h. Identify 3-5 local NGO partners which align with LWR core programs.
i. Contribute in proposal design and writing in a team environment, as required.
2. Administrative Functions:
a. Identify three law firms in Baghdad that are commonly used by international organizations for registration and legal representation purpose. Work in a team to select the law firm to pursue LWR registration and provide support and follow up to complete the registration.
b. Identify a fully furnished one room office, with a possibility of expansion in future. This includes collecting price quotes and site visit report.
c. Establish relationship with key players and enhance the LWR visibility in the country.
• Monthly workplan to be reviewed and approved by LWR
• Situation Analysis Report/s
• Contribution in proposal design and writing as well as cost proposal information
• Identification of 3-5 local NGO partners that align with LWR core programming areas.
• LWR Registration in Baghdad, Iraq to establish LWR operation in the country
• Masters level of education in social science, economics or international development
• 7-10 years of experience in humanitarian assistance field including conducting situation analysis, coordination with key stakeholders, program design, proposal writing and setting up a country office
• A thorough understanding of Iraq conflict and current humanitarian situation in terms of assistance and gaps.
• Strategical thinking and analytical skills are highly required for this assignment. Also, the candidate must have a demonstrated experience in conducting rapid assessments and proposal development experience.
• Experience working in security challenged areas of the country, where the security situation is fluid with potential risks.
• Arabic and English Proficiency.
• All applications must be submitted electronically by 31 January 2018 along with Resume or Curriculum Vitae, 3-5 pages writing sample and three references.
Please submit your application to Corman@lwr.org
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.