• Identify and develop relationships with people, organizations, and institutions that can enrich country programs and help achieve LWR's strategy.
• Participate in relevant networks, forums, and other coordination and learning spaces.
• Represent the country program to host government authorities, U.S. Embassy and USAID, peer agencies, representatives of the ELCA, LCMS; to national Lutheran church bodies; and to ecumenical forums (e.g. ACT)
2. New Business Development
• Help identify and pursue new funding opportunities with institutional donors including U.S. Government or other bilateral or multilateral donors, foundations, and corporate philanthropies.
• Work with the Country & Regional team to develop an annual grant-seeking strategy and facilitate contacts between partners and funders based in country
• Support and/or lead the development of proposals to donors in coordination with the Regional team and NBD unit
• Coordinate with External Relations on organization-wide fundraising efforts, constituent engagement efforts, and related information
3. Strategy, Planning & Program Oversight
• Provide leadership in developing and managing a program that is consistent with LWR's strategy.
• Ensure high quality and timely implementation, including key deliverables, of all projects in close coordination with the Country Program Manager, Project Coordinators, and Project Directors.
• Develop pipelines of potential partners and projects for future opportunities
• Ensure high quality M&E and technical assistance is available to country staff in designing, implementing, and evaluating relief and development programs.
• Serve as LWR's in-country lead in assessing and proposing/ developing humanitarian response to emergencies in coordination with Emergency Operations unit.
• Guide LWR's accompaniment work and program staff in identifying, building, maintaining, and evaluating partner relationships.
4. Human Resources Management
• Oversee and develop a strong country team; ensure team learning and individual and team performance standards and accountability; provide frequent feedback to and support for regional team.
• Supervise and conduct regular performance reviews for country team
• Oversee hiring and termination of country staff and performance management plans as necessary, under supervision of Regional Director.
5. Safety and Security Oversight
• Ensure familiarity and compliance with LWR's safety and security procedures and protocols.
• Oversee country office safety security policy compliance and updates
6. Financial/Office Management & Compliance
• Ensure compliance with LWR policies and procedures
• Oversee the development and/or updating of country program specific policies for personnel, finance, administration and security and assure compliance with local law
• Develop annual budgets in line with guidance provided by F&A and Regional Directors.
• Monitor the implementation of budgets and cash flows.
• Commission audits of partners as necessary.
• Coordinate with F&A on country office financial and budget management and monitoring, and address audit findings
• Ensure that all restricted fund requirements are met in regard to compliance and allowable costs. Ensure that country offices are in compliance with host government rules and regulations regarding registration, taxation, payroll/human resources, and reporting.
• Ensure that staff comply with donor regulations for all projects funded by restricted grants.
• Ensure the smooth functioning and security of the country office.
• Maintain fluid communications with Country, Regional team and other HQ staff.
• Inform Director or delegate of all changes in operating environment (risks, opportunities, etc.) that may affect staff security, operations, approved projects, annual operating plan, or strategy
8. Professional Development
• Engage in ongoing professional development.
Other duties as assigned by supervisor.