HR Manager - Latin America (based in El Salvador)
|Location:||San Salvador, El Salvador|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Description:||The purpose of the Human Resources Manager, Latin America is to provide Human Resource support, oversight and guidance to the country offices in the region. The HRM will work closely with regional staff in the field and at HQ, the Finance and Administration teams for each country and the HR team at LWR HQ. This position will assist with implementation of new HR initiatives in the Latin America Region, ensure HR management guidelines and controls issued from HQ are followed and help ensure country offices are managing HR in compliance with applicable labor laws and regulations. |
HR Oversight and Management:
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with regional and local teams and act as a responsible, informed and accessible member of the regional management team
- Stay up to date on changes in the labor laws in all presence countries, informing relevant staff about upcoming changes; drafting amendments and assisting with staff training
- Follow-up on Human Resource related findings during operational, finance, and HR compliance reviews
- Complete HR compliance checks for each country office at least bi-annually, ensuring proper file management, benefits compliance, accuracy of paid leave tracking, work space, ergonomics and safety requirements
- Manage employment contracts and coordinate documentation related to employment status changes; provide guidance on employment status changes and contract amendments
- Coordinate the collection and consolidation of regional employee data for Latin America and ensure integrity in the data
- In coordination with HQ HR, develop and oversee region-wide manager training - employee retention program for key staff;
- Provide oversight and support to country office recruitment ensuring recruitment practices are fair, transparent and in compliance with relevant laws, regulations and LWR recruitment protocols and policies;
- Assist with recruitments that are outsourced to a third-party recruitment agency;
- Recommend strategies for targeting underrepresented groups and meeting needs of underrepresented or marginalized groups
- Provide support to HQ HR during the annual salary review process;
- Provide support to the LWR performance review process, Leadership and Learning for Results (LLR) including; collecting and tracking forms, reviewing forms to ensure completion, answering questions, providing guidance and assisting HQ HR with follow-up actions to include drafting Performance Improvement Plans (PIPs);
- Reduce risk to the organization by providing advice and oversight to disciplinary actions, and escalate staff grievances and internal complaints to HQ;
- Review final pay statements to ensure accuracy, consistency and compliance;
- Provide technical advice on country office structure, staffing and review job descriptions as requested;
- Provide oversight and support to each country for review of benefits, overseeing insurance quotes and cost assessments; review benefit contracts and oversee benefits administration processes
- Perform Exit Interviews with staff who voluntarily resign.
- Prepare internal communications regarding HR issues such as, amendments to the Employee Handbooks, end/beginning of the year activity, performance review process, benefits and new policy releases.
- Distribute important HR announcements to all staff, ensuring accurate translation, postings on the job board and communications board.
Project Development and Implementation
- Advise on project management structures for proposals and budgeting
- Support proposal development by providing staffing and other HR related costs to cost proposal lead
- Review management plans and budget proposals from sub-recipients, to ensure reasonable staffing structures and costing for human resources
- Review sub-recipient pre-award capacity assessments and create plan and budget to address weaknesses identified in human resources.
- Participate on surge team at the launch of new projects to recruit and onboard new staff
- Participate on office close-out team at close of project to terminate staff and archive HR documentation from the project
- Deep commitment to LWR's core values and ability to model those values in relationships with colleagues and partners;
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree is required in business management, human resources management or other relevant discipline;
- A minimum of five years of experience in Human Resources as a generalist; including at least two (2) years working for an International NGO;
- Significant work experience in Latin America is required; experience in at least two (2) LWR presence countries preferred;
- Experience in a regional HR position overseeing multiple countries highly preferred;
- Ability to interact with and advise employees at various levels;
- Experience working with a US-based organization highly preferred;
- Strong understanding of confidentiality as it relates to Human Resources; Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with discretion is required;
- Good analytical and communication skills and demonstrated ability to assimilate and process information for a wide audience;
- Ability to make pragmatic decision around complex issues and provide guidance during difficult circumstances;
- Ability to define problems, establish facts, analyze situations and make decisions based on policy
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people in a multicultural, team-oriented environment;
- Must be self-directed and capable of identifying challenges; take initiative, prioritize, organize and carry out multiple tasks under pressure and with little supervision;
- Professional fluency in both English and Spanish is required.
- Knowledge of USAID rules and regulations, cooperation agreements, contracts and other donors is a plus.
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 30% of the time throughout Latin America