Gender Equality and Social Inclusion Specialist
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
About the Organization:
Lutheran World Relief (LWR) began working in Nepal in 2009 to improve food security for indigenous, Dalit and marginalized communities. Despite progress in poverty reduction in recent years, Nepal remains one of the poorest countries in the world. Rural communities struggle with household food security for much of the year. Additionally, these communities are extremely vulnerable to frequent natural hazards, including flash floods, landslides or earthquake. Poverty affords communities few resources to prepare for or mitigate the effects of these hazards and even fewer resources to recover, which means gains in development can be wiped out. LWR tackles both development and resilience needs by better preparing communities for natural hazards, and helping families to realize food security and savings. In Nepal, LWR currently works with local partners on livelihoods, food security, climate change adaptation, and disaster risk reduction.
Lutheran World Relief (LWR) is currently recruiting a Gender Equality and Social Inclusion Specialist (GESI) for a DFID/Mott Macdonald-funded project in Nepal. Through this two-year program, LWR addresses the multi-faceted causes of poverty and social exclusion through community-driven participatory approaches which enable vulnerable groups to lead their own socio-economic development. By applying a systems-based approach, linking community-led development with local governments and private sector involvement, LWR and its consortium of local partners will address the needs and constraints of vulnerable groups in Gorkha and Dhading. Proposed project dates are December 1st, 2018 - November 30th, 2020.
The Gender and Social Inclusion Specialist will be responsible for providing overall strategic guidance and technical leadership in the planning, conceptualization, management, implementation, monitoring, and assessment of distinct gender initiatives and activities as well as ensuring integration and attention of gender and social inclusion needs into the program. The Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) Specialist's primary responsibilities are aimed to ensure project activities are adaptive and inclusive for vulnerable groups and to work closely with government counterparts and local grantees to ensure program activities align with development goals.
Local candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Position contingent upon donor funding.
Reporting & Supervision:
This position reports to the LWR Team Leader.
• Coordinate with and support the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) team in establishing and implementing gender/social inclusion-sensitive monitoring, evaluation, learning and reporting systems. Work closely with the M&E Officer to develop the data collection and analysis tools for the baseline assessment to guarantee gender and social inclusion considerations.
• Conduct needs assessment of vulnerable groups in specific geographic locations.
• Identify modalities/process to enable participation of the poor, vulnerable groups and women's greater access in proposed interventions.
• Lead and conduct baseline assessment of gender constraints, which should guide the development of measurable and achievable indicators.
• Lead the training and capacity building of consortium and partner staff throughout the life of the project.
• Responsible for GESI action planning, which will feed directly into the Program's overall work planning.
• Conduct a local systems analysis, with an integrated gender and social inclusion analysis, to inform how the needs of vulnerable groups should be addressed in the local context.
• Provide partner organizations with ongoing gender integration and social inclusion technical assistance.
• Ensure the most vulnerable and marginalized populations are represented across all project components, including as staff members, project participants, trainers, facilitators, speakers, evaluators, etc.
• Integrate gender and social inclusion considerations into operational research design and policy analyses.
• Incorporate discussions and activities related to gender and social inclusion into facilitation plans when designing dialogue sessions.
• Help civil society organizations (CSOs) build and maintain inclusive networks that incorporate women-led, minority-led and youth-led organizations.
• Promote good practices and lessons learned and organize meetings to draw lessons on issues of gender mainstreaming.
• The project's gender equality and social inclusion strategy is implemented in compliance with project work plan and client expectations (described in responsibilities).
• The project successfully builds organizational capacity in project partners, government, and stakeholders to incorporate gender equality and social inclusion strategies and approaches that contribute to sustainability beyond the life of project.
• Bachelor's degree (Masters preferred)
• Minimum of five (5) years of progressive professional experience (related to gender engagement and community participation in similar development projects.
• Experience working in remote area of Nepal and working with poor and vulnerable groups is desirable.
• Clarity on rights, gender and social issues
• Advocacy and negotiation skills
• Collaborative and innovative approach
• Strong communication, training and facilitation skills
• Strong team building and mentoring skills
• Supervision capacity
• Stakeholder engagement
• Working experience in training, coaching and mentoring teams in gender and social inclusion focused techniques and methods.
• Fluency in English and Nepali is required.
• Ability to travel to remote areas of the project area is required.
Interested applicants should submit their application along with expected salary and CV by email to AMalla@lwr.org. No other applications will be accepted. No phone calls will be entertained.