Deputy Director Impact Investing
|Location:||Baltimore/Washington, D.C., MD|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Description:||The Deputy Director for Impact Investing plays an integral role on the impact investing team creating value for portfolio companies by cultivating relationships with internal and external partners, developing new investment opportunities, leading on financial modeling and supporting investment analysis and recommendations. At the portfolio company level, provide technical assistance along with strategic and analytical support to the companies' management teams. Actively engage with staff across LWR departments to ensure effective collaboration on various aspects of the impact investing initiative including but not limited to fundraising, monitoring and evaluation, external relations and reporting to LWR's board. |
• Develop financial models and business valuations for investment opportunities including scenario analysis and other analytical tools required to make investment decisions.
• Review financial aspects of potential investees, business and operational plans, and identify additional diligence needed to support presentation of potential investments to management and the Investment Advisory Committee
• Ongoing review of financial performance of investee entities, including budget execution, going concern analysis, and budgeting and forecasting.
• Support analysis and reporting of social impact of investments (including identification of additional metrics as appropriate)
• Develop budgets and narratives for proposal submission
• Develop and execute plans for raising capital from donors, investors, lenders
• Work with Managing Director for Impact Investing, SVP, International Programs, Regional Directors and Field staff in International Programs to identify, develop and assess new investment opportunities that have a positive social impact
• Conduct industry and company specific due diligence related to investment opportunities
• Conduct industry research to inform investment analysis and business planning
• Prepare and present investment memorandum, financial models and business case statements for the Advisory Committee and senior management at LWR
• Liaise with LWR field offices as needed
• Coordinate the work of consultants (related to due diligence or operational improvements) as necessary
• Participate (and sometimes lead) policy development of various management policies for impact investment to ensure best practices, proper controls, & relevance from a finance perspective. May include, but is not limited to:
o Co-investment and partnership
o Cost sharing/cost recovery
o Technical support to investees
o Financial and programmatic performance reporting by investees
o Dividend policies
o Measurement of social impact
o Management policies
o Authority policies
o Other policies to be identified
• Establish and ensure compliance with the management systems and policies of Ground Up Investing
• Mitigate risks by ensuring that LWR is always on sound legal ground, while limiting exposure to liabilities and reputation risks resulting from investments.
• Identify investee gaps and build capacity around operations, management and financial analysis
• Liaise with other equity investors, lenders, customers, suppliers and service providers on behalf of operating companies
• Develop and manage systems, processes and procedures for the impact investing initiative and ensure effective cross-departmental integration
• Ensure efficient and accountable management of impact investing and its effective integration with LWR programs
• Ensure effective cross-departmental communication and integration between impact investing and IPD, PO, SPER and F&A
• Market and promote investee products and services to buyers
• Build brand awareness and positioning for investee products and services
• Engagement with others within the organization in support of team members and organizational goals in a timely and effective way. Engage in ongoing professional development (e.g. ANDE) to learn about developments in wider impact investing industry.
1. Deep commitment to LWR's core values and ability to model those values in relationships with colleagues and partners.
2. Strong entrepreneurial mindset and demonstrated ability to produce results in unstructured environments.
3. Bachelor's degree in Economics, Business Administration, Finance, or a related field. Master's degree in an appropriate discipline preferred.
4. 7+ years of progressive professional experience investing in frontier markets ideally with a focus on social impact.
5. Demonstrated experience cultivating and building partnerships.
6. Strong analytical skills.
7. Advanced knowledge of financial modeling and valuation
8. Must have a quantitative grasp on complex issues while being able to distill the facts and focus on key business needs.
9. Critical thinking and judgment - ability to make independent decisions, while keeping key stakeholders appraised of important matters.
10. Excellent communication skills (interpersonal, written and spoken), with a "can-do" positive and proactive attitude.
11. Strong relationship management skills - quickly develop trusted relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
12. Strong interpersonal abilities. Capability of influencing others in a global, cross-functional organization; consultative and creative.
13. Function well on a team in addition to being able to work autonomously, establishing him/herself as a leader.
14. Willingness and ability to travel, at least 25% of the time, possibly to remote regions which may include adverse conditions and/or disaster zones. Ability to withstand extremes of temperature and altitude.
15. Fluency in English required. Proficiency in Spanish or French preferred
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.