Operations Advisor: International
|Location:||Washington, DC/Baltimore, MD|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Description:||The Operations Advisor is responsible for coordinating the agency's Business Continuity Management System (BCMS), ensuring that BCMS parts owned by various stakeholders are kept up-to-date; developing/revising policies and tools related to field operations; and working with Senior Directors, Deputy Directors and senior country staff to assess operational quality in overseas offices. S/he ensures that field offices seek, renew, modify or maintain country registrations and comply with host government laws as needed to ensure the continuity of operations. S/he supports the Senior Director for Global Security in providing security guidance and management to field offices. S/he also provides support and advice to field staff on start-up and close-down of large contracts and awards, including through short-to-medium term deployments to field offices, primarily but not exclusively in Africa.|
|Duties:||Business Continuity Management: Works with inter-departmental stakeholders in Finance, Audit/Enterprise Risk Management, Human Resources, External Relations and Programs to ensure that the full suite of business continuity-related policies and guides are up-to-date; trains/orients stakeholders on the system and its components; identifies liaisons for BCM in other departments and organizes periodic meetings with them to assess risks and responses.|
Business Continuity Management: Works with inter-departmental stakeholders in Finance, Audit/Enterprise Risk Management, Human Resources, External Relations and Programs to ensure that the full suite of business continuity-related policies and guides are up-to-date; trains/orients stakeholders on the system and its components; identifies liaisons for BCM in other departments and organizes periodic meetings with them to assess risks and responses.
Policy Development and Compliance: Develops, updates, and maintains policies related to international office operations (e.g. Vehicle Policy), for approval by VP. Ensures that Programs perspectives from both HQ and field are considered in policies developed and owned by other stakeholders (e.g. Finance, Human Resources, etc.). Works with country and/or regional staff to assess compliance with operational policies. Provides training to staff as required on relevant operational and/or security policies and procedures.
Security Management: Supports the Senior Director for Global Security in developing staff safety and security policies; training staff in said policies; traveler briefings/tracking; incident management and tracking; intelligence gathering on security trends, etc. As requested by the Senior Director, works with country programs on reviewing and updating Country Safety and Security Plan. Serves as Acting Director for Global Security in the absence of the Senior Director.
Country Registration & Compliance. Maintains tracking of legal status of agency in countries where we work; liaises with President's Office and F&A/Contracts on getting apostilles, paperwork, and signatures required for filings with host country governments; reviews draft country agreements and registration documents and processes approval with relevant VPs.
Operational quality assessment. Develops and applies tools, together with other stakeholders, to measure operational quality of overseas programs; works with country programs to develop action plans to address identified weaknesses or enhance strengths.
|Qualifications:||● 4 year degree and 7-10 years of relevant experience|
● Familiarity with international relief and development operations, including experience working with overseas offices, ideally in Africa
● Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
● Excel and database familiarity
● Ability to conduct business in French. Full fluency is not required but, given the position's need to support programs in Francophone Africa and Haiti, the person must be able to read French and to communicate orally in French.
● Strong people skills and emotional intelligence
● Ability to serve as an ‘integrator,' given the need to coordinate with multiple stakeholders across different departments and units
● Ability to train and orient staff in policies, procedures, and practices
● Strong writing skills; ability to organize and categorize information clearly and succinctly in policies, reports, and presentations.
● Flexibility and ability to switch between different tasks on short notice.
● Excellent time-management and ability to deliver under tight timeframes and occasionally challenging work environments.
Physical and mental ability and willingness to conduct occasional travel to remote, difficult, and insecure environments, such as countries subject to political instability, risks of terrorist attacks, poor infrastructure, health risks, and extremes of heat; including but not necessarily limited to the Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan, Kenya, Tanzania, Haiti, Burkina Faso, Burkina Faso, Niger and others.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.