Chief of Party USAID’s Markets and Nutrition (M&N) - Niger
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Description:||Lutheran World Relief (LWR) is seeking applications for Chief of Party (COP) for the anticipated USAID Markets & Nutrition project in Niger. M&N will serve as the lead markets development activity for USAID's Resilience in the Sahel II Project (RISE II) and the Sahel Development Partnership. M&N has the following Goal and Expected Results: |
M&N Goal: Strengthen market systems such that household incomes and nutritional status are sustainably improved.
Result 1: Enhanced performance of commodity market systems
Result 2: Increased utilization of quality inputs and services
Result 3: Increased local consumption of nutritious, safe foods
The COP has primary responsibility for project performance and budget management and directs the planning, supervision and coordination of all project activities and staff, in accordance with donor guidelines. The Chief of Party will be based in Niger and will report directly to the Senior Director, Africa at LWR. S/he will liaise regularly with key stakeholders representing the program, including USAID in-country technical advisors and other staff, Government of Niger, relevant Ministry stakeholders, and to civil society networks.
This is an anticipated five-year project with a budget of $29.5M. Position is contingent upon award and funding.
- Provide overall leadership and supervision of all project activities, including sub-awardees/contractors and project personnel; lead the Program Management Unit.
- Serve as the primary person responsible for overseeing the full-time and short-term technical assistance personnel and directing program management and operations, including financial management, cost control, partner management, program planning, performance monitoring, financial reporting, and client relations.
- Serve as LWR's representative to USAID, the Government of Niger, other donors and multinationals, technical agencies and other participating organizations on behalf of the project.
- Oversee quality and timely reporting in line with donor requirements according to the contract/award agreement; monitor progress of program objectives and work with the country director and the program officer in headquarters to ensure quality control.
- Ensure the development and implementation of key project deliverables, including the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) plan and work plan. Monitor staff performance and provide capacity strengthening support when needed
- Hold team and partners accountable to meet objectives in timely manner; ultimately responsible for management of fiduciary risk, attention to value for money and continual performance improvement.
- Ensure visibility of program results, achievements and lessons learned through presentations at conferences and workshops and/or publishing articles through professional journals.
- Lead and manage LWRs program team, including staff with administrative related duties, and consortium staff, to ensure that they are able to successfully implement efficiently all program operations and achieve program objectives.
|Qualifications:||The position requires a competent and experienced person with the following attributes:|
- Master's degree or higher in economics, business, international development, agricultural economics, agribusiness or a related field;
- Minimum 12 years of increasingly higher levels of responsibility working in international development, preferably in commercial value chains, food security, and economic growth with an emphasis on development and marketing of agricultural products.
- Minimum of 10 years' experience working with development programming in contexts similar to Niger; experience working in West Africa and particularly in Niger.
- Chief of party level experience on donor funded projects is required in the following sectors:
- Market system development
- Nutrition sensitive agriculture and food safety
- Strengthening agricultural and pastoral livelihoods
- Fostering resilient households, communities and systems
- Access to financial services and financial inclusion
- Social inclusion (particularly women)
- Private sector engagement
- Experience overseeing sub-awardees/sub-contractors to achieve program results; familiarity and expertise in overseeing the financial and contractual management aspects of program management.
- Knowledge or understanding of social, economic, and political context governing rural economic development and food security in West Africa.
- Knowledge of US Government regulations, policies, and procedures, preferably USAID, or those of an equivalently complex international government funding organization.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (including in making presentations); high degree of political savvy in interacting with senior government and civil society stakeholders.
- Excellent written and spoken English and French.
- Niger nationals are highly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are encouraged to send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the "LWR - Chief of Party Niger Markets and Nutrition" in the subject line.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.