Market Systems & Agriculture Technical Advisor USAID's Markets and Nutrition (M&N) - Niger
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
Lutheran World Relief (LWR) is seeking applications for Market Systems and Agriculture Technical Advisor for the anticipated USAID Markets & Nutrition project in Niger. M&N will serve as the lead markets development activity for USAID's Resilience in the Sahel II Project (RISE II) and the Sahel Development Partnership. M&N has the following Goal and Expected Results:
M&N Goal: Strengthen market systems such that household incomes and nutritional status are sustainably improved.
Result 1: Enhanced performance of commodity market systems
Result 2: Increased utilization of quality inputs and services
Result 3: Increased local consumption of nutritious, safe foods
The Market Systems and Agriculture Technical Advisor will provide technical leadership and support to the assessment and design of livelihood and market system development interventions. This position reports directly to the Chief of Party.
This is an anticipated five-year project with a budget of $34 - $37M.
*Position is contingent upon award and funding.
|Duties:||• Lead the design of interventions to strengthen livelihood and agricultural systems so they are better able to respond to shocks and stresses, and benefit from local and regional market opportunities. |
• Contribute to market and nutrition assessments, and value chain analysis to identify viable market opportunities for project beneficiaries.
• Lead the development of the project's technical documents supporting the evidence-based on, and related to, nutrition-sensitive agriculture and market systems, including producing content and ensuring technical quality.
• Provide technical expertise, coordination, capacity building activities to strengthen market system resilience and value chain management, including cowpeas, small ruminants, horticulture, and poultry.
• Maintain and build relationships with government stakeholders to ensure collaboration and buy-in.
• Guide day-to-day implementation and management to ensure timely, relevant, high quality services of the contract.
• Represent the M&N activity through coordination, capacity building, and partnership meetings with regional policy actors, disease surveillance agencies, private sector companies, research organizations, and government/ministry staff.
|Qualifications:||• Masters Degree or higher in agriculture/animal science, agribusiness, agriculture economics, or related field.|
• Minimum 10 years of experience in technical assessment, design, and implementation of USAID, USDA and other agricultural development projects in West Africa.
• Detailed understanding of role of agriculture and market system resilience, particularly in vulnerable households.
• Value chain experience in rural and urban dominated sectors.
• Significant experience leading livelihood/agriculture market projects.
• Strong understanding of private sector-led approaches to agriculture/livestock market system development, preferably in Africa.
• Experience working with development programming in contexts similar to West Africa, particularly in Niger.
• Demonstrated capacity building experience.
• Excellent written and spoken English and French.
• Niger nationals are highly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit an application through: https://lwr.org/jobs