Market Systems and Agriculture Consultant West Africa - Remote
|Department:||New Business Development|
|Description:||Lutheran World Relief (LWR) is seeking a short-term consultant specializing in market systems and agriculture value chains, with specific competencies and experience in West Africa. The consultant will provide strategic direction and guidance on market systems activities and is expected to help create the technical design of an upcoming funding opportunity.|
This position reports directly to LWR's Business Development Unit.
- Provide comprehensive feedback and instruction on various technical elements related to seed, livestock, and poultry value chains in West Africa.
- Guide local and HQ staff on market systems interventions best practices and take a leadership role to help ensure a high-quality technical design.
- Contribute to market and nutrition assessments as needed, and value chain analysis to identify viable market opportunities for project beneficiaries. These opportunities include the private sector and government linkages to enable long-term and sustainable development interventions.
- Provide technical expertise to strengthen market system resilience and value chain management, including cowpeas, small ruminants, horticulture, and poultry.
- Provide written feedback and direct instruction on various components of existing technical design elements projects in West Africa.
- Following an initial review period, provide proposal staff and organization leadership a presentation of key findings and relevant next steps to improve the status of the technical design.
The position requires a competent and experienced person with the following attributes:
- Masters Degree or higher in agriculture/animal science, agribusiness, agriculture economics, or related field.
- Minimum 6 years of experience in technical assessment, design, and implementation of USAID, USDA and other agricultural development projects in West Africa.
- Ability to quickly absorb a large quantity of information related to market systems and provide highly relevant and useful recommendations to improve design.
- Detailed understanding of the role of agriculture and market system resilience, particularly in vulnerable households.
- Significant experience leading livelihood/agriculture market projects.
- Strong understanding of private sector-led approaches to agriculture/livestock market system development, preferably in Africa.
- Experience working with development programming in contexts similar to West Africa.
- Excellent written and spoken English and French.