Senior Manager of Accounting
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Department:||Finance and Administration|
|Description:||The Senior Manager of Accounting provides specialized accounting support to the organization, involving independent judgment and action. The incumbent will direct the activities of the accounting department and serve as the expert for the organization in the area of accounting. The Senior Manager of Accounting Operations is responsible for assisting the Director of Accounting to achieve the completion of assigned accounting processes which may include general ledger maintenance, treasury/banking accounting, fixed asset accounting, cost allocations accounting, miscellaneous revenue accounting, as well as other accounting functions. The responsibilities include ensuring all balance sheet accounts continuously reflect accurate financial position through review of work performed by Country Programs and Staff Accountants.|
The Senior Manager of Accounting supports the Director of Accounting in planning and organizing resources to perform routine and scheduled functions as well as to respond to questions related to accounting. They will focus on general ledger activity, daily posting process, accounts receivable and accounts payable, timely month-end closing process and reconciliation of general ledger accounts. Additionally, this position will be the primary administrator of the Accounting System as well as the Online Expense Management System utilized by the employees for company credit card transactions and out-of-pocket cash expenses.
Work involves the ability to manage a queue of priorities and supervision of Staff Accountants. The incumbent is responsible for making independent decisions based upon knowledge of organization operations, policies and procedures and supports Director of Accounting to ensure processes are operating effectively and efficiently, implementing best practices and improvements in a standardized way across all accounting related functions.
- Coordinate, including being able to perform, activities across the various accounting functions: accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, cash and treasury management and general accounting.
- Review and supervise monthly reconciliation of general ledger accounts including bank reconciliations.
- Lead "closing" of financial records on a monthly basis and in a timely manner.
- Prepare monthly Indirect Cost Recovery Calculation and Revenue Recognition and submit to Director of Accounting for approval.
- Support Director of Accounting and CFO in annual organizational budgeting process.
- Lead development of Accounting department annual budget and provide support to the other budget managers as needed.
- Establish and maintain security levels for MIP users in HQ and in Field offices.
- Perform various administration level tasks for the accounting software.
- Participate in review/updates to the Financial/Accounting procedure manual.
- Serves as a backup for Manager of Financial Reporting and Analysis to prepare monthly financial statements for management review to include income statement, balance sheet and supporting schedules.
- Advise on new or changed accounting principles and practices that impact non-profit finance and compliance.
- Ensures proper cash handling procedures; maintains contact with financial institutions regarding IMA World Health accounts.
- Reviews and maintains financial details for all inventory (purchased and donated) transactions.
- Act as a primary point of contact with external auditors and lead submission of PBC and related schedules.
- Monitor and review general ledger account reconciliations to ensure accounts are reconciled in an accurate and timely manner.
- Act as a subject matter expert on Drill point (MIP's excel based reporting tool) to develop and maintain templates and schedules that will be used by the Senior Management Team for review and analysis.
- Act as a primary point of contact for the corporate credit card and all foreign vendors.
- Manage the currency selling bids and ensure effective and cost efficient treasurey operations.
- Actively participate in reviewing improvements to the Accounting software, modules and processes.
- Lead the implementation of newly acquired modules and tools to achieve cost savings and efficiencies.
- Manage online expense management platform, conduct trainings to employees and act as its administrator and main contact with the provider.
- Ensure that IMA World Health assets are appropriately protected, including collection of receivable, avoidance of excess payments, and proper authorization for expenditures.
- Assist Staff Accountants in resolving issues or difficulties in the performance of their work and knowing when issues should be escalated.
- Periodically review and edit documented work procedures and responsibility grids to ensure they accurately reflect work being done. Suggest updates to department policies to reflect actual practices.
- Assist with the selection and hiring process of accountants and managers for the Accounting team and International Finance team.
- Maintain deep knowledge of team functions and ensure all team members are adequately trained to effectively and efficiently perform their assigned tasks.
- Minimum B.S. degree in Accounting, MBA and/or CPA preferred; and five years of experience in the field with at least three years of supervisory experience.
- Experience working with various donor funded (USG, DFID, UN) project. Knowledge of applicable rules and regulations
- Experience working with and setting up an accounting software package.
- Highly skilled in using MS Excel spreadsheets.
- Demonstrated ability to accurately work with large amounts of financial and accounting data.
- Good planning and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills that demonstrate a proven record of being an effective part of a team-oriented staff.
- Ability to work effectively and independently and to exercise sound judgment and discretion.