Senior Agriculture Technical Advisor
|Benefits:||An excellent benefit package is offered|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Description:||Lutheran World Relief (LWR) seeks a Senior Agriculture Technical Advisor to provide leadership, management, strategic direction and technical assistance to ensure that LWR's agriculture programs are designed and implemented consistently, with the highest quality, and in accordance with LWR's agriculture strategy thus maximizing sustainable impact for smallholder farmers. He/she will provide intellectual leadership and strategic thinking around the cornerstones of the agriculture strategy and other emerging approaches/innovations in profitable farming systems, will develop practical implementation frameworks and will lead the development of communication materials/visuals about LWR's agriculture approach to donors and peer organizations. He/she play a primary role in the development and review of agriculture technical approaches in proposals to institutional donors and foundations. He/she will work closely with other members of the program quality team to ensure the inclusion of resilience, gender, monitoring, evaluation and learning, youth and ICT4D. He/she will also promote a culture of learning and program improvement, via publication and dissemination of technical materials and evaluation information, facilitated organizational learning processes, and strong knowledge management.|
• Supports DRDs for Quality & Growth and RTAs in the development of strong technical approaches, incorporating lessons learned and best practices from existing projects
• Serve as the agriculture technical lead on high priority proposals to government and foundation donors.
• Write relevant ag. related sections of proposals
• Support with the development of ag. related needs assessments used to inform proposal design.
• Facilitate technical design workshops.
• Overall ownership of the ag. strategy.
• Lead the refinement and operationalization of LWR's agriculture strategy.
o Importantly lead design, implementation, interpretation and use of rural agriculture economy assessments for country level strategy and project design.
o Ensure the development of compelling and thorough country ag. road maps.
• Coordinate a portfolio of agriculture projects under a global ag. program that are linked with common designs, metrics and learning agendas.
• Provide technical review and support of ongoing projects to ensure alignment with best practices and ag. strategy
• Provide technical content and review to LWR agriculture technical documents.
Learning and Knowledge Management
• Coordinate global learning and innovation around the agriculture strategy's cornerstones.
Representation and Thought Leadership
• Represent LWR at local and global conferences, workshops and other fora.
• Stays abreast of best practices and industry trends in order to provide innovative insights to proposal responses
|Qualifications:||1. Commitment to LWR's core values and ability to model those values in relationships with colleagues and partners.|
2. Master's or Ph.D. in agriculture economics, agribusiness or economics.
3. Ten (10) years of experience in international relief and development with at least ten (10) years of direct program implementation experience, in addition to technical support experience.
4. At least three (3) years in a field-based position providing direct technical support or oversight to agriculture projects.
5. Detailed understanding of donor trends in agriculture, in particular US government and large foundations.
6. Demonstrated experience and understanding of how gender, resilience, youth, technology and the environment influence the ability of smallholder agriculture to realize its full potential.
7. Experience with gathering, analyzing, presenting and using evidence for design, strategy and decision making.
8. Experience with markets systems and agriculture value chain assessment and analysis.
9. Ability to employ principles and concepts of economics to learn more about the supply and demand of goods and services in rural agricultural sectors in the developing world. This includes analysis of production, consumption, and distribution.
10. Ability to examine data to determine patterns and trends in rural agricultural economic activity through both basic and in-depth assessments that identifies unrealized potential or value in the system for smallholder farmers.
11. Ability to make both short, medium and long-term predictions on from research to inform, influence, and improve the business decisions of smallholder farmers, farm enterprises, agribusiness, and government.
12. Ability to identify market indicators like farm income and food prices and in areas such as; Natural resource management, Agricultural policy, Farm credit, Agricultural marketing systems, Commodity exchanges
13. Excellent writing skills, with demonstrated successful experience writing strong technical material for proposals, technical training materials, strategic think pieces, and/or technical strategies.
14. Strong networking and public speaking skills, with an interest and willingness to take on external engagement and technical leadership roles on behalf of LWR.
15. Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word, as well as social media and other digital applications.
16. Ability to speak Spanish and/or French highly desirable.
17. Willingness to travel internationally, at least 25% of the time, sometimes to remote locations with few amenities.